Seeing Through a Donor's Eyes
How to Make a Persuasive Case for Everything from Your Annual Drive to Your Planned Giving Program to Your Capital Campaign
by Tom Ahern, 167 pp.You already know the most valuable trait for a successful fundraiser - integrity. But the second one would have to be persuasiveness, would it not? Whether in writing, in person, or on the phone, you are constantly making the case for your project or your organization.
Table of Contents
- Do you need this book?
- And if you are in a capital campaign
- Types of cases: A shopping guide
- Why you matter to donors
- Writing a fabulous case is easy
- The case writing process: An overview
- Day 1: Gather your pile of information
- Also on Day 1: Decide about interviews
- Day 2: Conduct your interviews
- What kinds of interview questions
- Day 3: Skim the cream
- Wanted: Emotional triggers and benefits
- Day 4: The internal case emerges
- Day 5: Start writing
- What do we call it?
- The marketing brief: Your skeleton
- Writing ills? The doctor is in
- Telling your story (1)
- Telling your story (2)
- Telling your story (3)
- Telling your story (4)
- Prepare to be browsed
- Make your case bigger than you
- Put it in a nutshell, too
- Take your prospect on a verbal tour
- How you say things does matter
- The cherry on top
- The call to action
- The role of visuals
- “I’ll know a great case when I see it”
- Reality check
Make fundraising easier for yourself. Buy this book today.
About the Author
Tom Ahern is recognized as one of North America’s top authorities on nonprofit communications. He began presenting his top-rated Love Thy Reader workshops at fundraising conferences in 1999.
Since then he has introduced thousands of fundraisers in the U.S., Canada and Europe to the principles of reader psychology, writing, and graphic design that make donor communications highly engaging and successful.
He founded his consulting practice in 1990 (www.aherncomm.com). His firm specializes in capital campaign case statements, nonprofit communications audits, direct mail, and donor newsletters. His efforts have won three prestigious IABC Gold Quill awards, given each year to the best communications work worldwide.
Ahern is also an award-winning magazine journalist, for articles on health and social justice issues. He has his MA and BA in English from Brown University, and a Certificate in Advertising Art from the RI School of Design. His offices are in Rhode Island and France.
How to Turn Your Words into Money The Master Fundraiser's Guide to Persuasive Writing by...