Sold Out - $24.95 $124.75
How to Turn Your Words into Money
The Master Fundraiser's Guide to Persuasive Writing
by Jeff Brooks, 172 pp.
Are you ready to write your most effective fundraising message ever? One that touches donors’ hearts, connects with their passions, and inspires them to give? Here’s the book to help you do it.
Jeff Brooks, author of The Fundraiser’s Guide to Irresistible Communications and one of America’s top fundraising writers, pulls back the curtain on the counter-intuitive world of fundraising to reveal:
• The sentence top writers always use to start every project.
• The easy revision that will impressively improve your writing nearly every time.
• The tested truth about making donors feel guilty.
• How the pros tell powerful stories even when they can’t find the right story.
• The secret of the lady on the monitor and how she powered a writer’s career.
And for the first time, a proven template for a sure-fire, never-fail fundraising letter.
Whether you’ve just been handed your first writing assignment or you’re a seasoned pro, whether you want it for yourself or need to show someone else how the veterans write fundraising, How to Turn Your Words Into Money is a guide you’ll keep on your desk and return to again and again.
Table of Contents
Part I: The Style of Fundraising Writing
1. Four Things That Don’t Work in Fundraising
2. Fundraising Writing Is Different
3. Be SURE about Your Writing
4. The Call to Action
5. The Magic Words
6. The Sound of Your Writing
Part II: Why Stories Matter in Fundraising
7. The Elements of a Well-Built Story
8. Five Ways to Use Stories for Impact
9. How Storytellers Tell Stories
10. The Hero of the Story
11. Word Pictures
Part III: What We’re Really Doing: The Psychology of Fundraising
12. The Evil Cousin of Fundraising
13. Wholehearted Fundraising: Meeting Donors' Emotional Needs
14. What Good is Guilt?
15. Four Smart Assumptions about Donors
Part IV: A Brief Survival Guide
16. Who’s Ready for the Ahern Rule?
17. Five Fundraising Traps and How to Avoid Them
18. Things I Wish I’d Learned Sooner
Make fundraising easier for yourself. Buy this book today.
About the AuthorJeff Brooks, creative director at TrueSense Markeing, has been writing for and about nonprofit fundraising for more than 25 years. His clients have included St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, CARE, The Salvation Army, Ronald McDonald House, Feeding America, the American Cancer Society, and many more. A propagandist for the donor-focused fundraising revolution, his previous book is The Fundraiser’s Guide to Irresistible Communications.